Thursday, December 21, 2017

RISD Museum Lines of Thought

Drawing of Anubis in the Egyptian Book of the Dead
My boss Steve talks about food a  lot. When we drive around, I'd estimate 40 percent of our conversation revolves around restaurants. Usually, the conversation starts with him telling me about a place as we drive by it. Then he tells me the best dish there. So it was a bit of a surprise when Steve started a conversation last week like this

Steve " You really got to go to this place in Providence"

Me expecting a food review

Steve" The RISD Museum has a special exhibition  about Michelangelo.

Me" I'm listening!"

After a few minutes of research RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) Museum has a special exhibition on loan from the British Museum called the "Lines of Thought". What it is, is a series of drawings from as far back as Ancient Egypt to the present. Many of the drawings are from Old World masters. They would sketch outlines of people or things they planned on putting in their paintings. How a body would be presented, position of the hands, a farmhouse in the shadows, things like that. Others were full on drawings.

Rembrandt self portait
The exhibition is only there until January 7. Laurie comes over on Thursdays, and coincidentally the  museum is open late (until 9) on the third Thursday of the month, and it is free that evening. So Laurie and I left for Providence after the evening traffic subsided.

We went directly to the Lines of Thought exhibition. The first drawing you see is from the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Immediately, I thought this could be really good. Around the wall from the book of the Dead was a Rembrandt self portrait and then a drawing from Leonardo da Vinci!!!!!

Needless to say, I was awe struck. I had done a little research on da Vinci in the past so I know a little about his lust for knowledge, and his penchant for procrastination. None the less, I so admire his thirst for learning and his  interest in so many things. To see any da Vinci wasn't on any of my bucket lists since I have no desire to visit Europe. So to see one 20 minutes from home was awesome Admittedly, a quick sketch is not the Mona Lisa, but it is irrelevant, it came from his hand.

After looking at the da Vinci, I walked around the room. There were drawings from Picasso. Two from Michelangelo. The room also had a drawing from French literary genius Victor Hugo. There were also drawings from Gilray and Seurat. There was some contemporary stuff that I mostly passed by.
The Virgin with the Christ child and a cat
Leonardo da Vinci


After we finished the room we walked around the rest of the museum. I went there years ago but do not remember it being so big. The first thing we saw after we left the exhibition was a Rodin sculpture. Then we walked through rooms to find Monet's, Picasso's, Gilbert Stuart. There is a Greek helmet along with 3000 year old Greek pottery. There were other classical sculptures and many Renaissance paintings. I was floored. Considering I take trips to Boston to go to the Museum of Fine Art and I spent three days in Philly going to museums, I can't believe this place is in my back yard. I am definitely going back again this winter.

A quick Google search can get you directions and hours. https://risdmuseum.org/ 
If you do plan on seeing the exhibition "Lines  of Thought" it does go back to jolly ole England January 7. It is well worth seeing before it crosses the pond for good



More pictures below

Greek Helmet



Rodin
 The Hand of God

Claude Monet






Michelangelo
Studies for the Last Judgement
 1534



Victor Hugo
Pretty damn good for a writer

No comments:

Post a Comment