Saturday, December 2, 2017

Finding your Christmas

As I have said multiple times, if I go to a one night event such as a concert or a play, it is absolutely useless to you the reader. the only way it is of any use to you is if you are interested AND that musician or play comes around the following year. For that reason, I try not to write about concerts too often. Last year I went to the Wizard of Oz on opening night at the Stadium Theater. When I got home I wrote about it. If the reader was intrigued by my post, this gave them two solid weekends to buy tickets.

I'm pretty sure this scene from tonight is self explainitory
Tonight I went to the Stadium Theater Christmas Show. It was unbelievably fun. For the most part it was a collection of Christmas songs mixed in with a story to piece them together. The level of talent was off the charts. The singing was unbelievable. My advice to you is to go see it next year. I think it would be impossible to be disappointed. Tickets were $26 and $21. We got our tickets over the summer, so we got third row seats ( first row were also open when we bought the tickets, but we like being a little higher.

Even though, you would have to wait until next year to see tonight's show do not fear, there is still plenty to see. Laurie and I have many other holiday festivities to go to over the next three weeks. It is no secret that the early darkness in December kind of depresses me. Having an event to look forward to keeps me positive. Besides keeping me sane, they also allow me to enjoy the holidays for the entire season and not just Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas morning.

With some research it is not difficult to find plenty to do during the holidays. Some of the stuff can be expensive while others are really pretty cheap. The thing I went to tonight, was well worth the twenty six dollars. On the other hand, Boston Pops and the Old Sturbridge Village CHristmas by Candlelight can be pretty expensive, but both are so worth it.

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should do during the Holidays. My advice is always to make it as fun as possible. Do things that make you happy. It amazes me when people tell me they "can't wait for the holidays to be over" You know what comes after the holidays? Answer- January, a big pile of suck!!!

There are plenty of things you could find on your own. But here are a few ideas. Some free, some fairly inexpensive, other you might have to save for. what I can tell you is everything I do during my Friday's and Saturday's out still adds up to less than the PS4 that all the kids want.

Some ideas-

Stadium Theater is having free movie nights on Dec 20, and 21 for Home Alone and Polar Express
La salette Shrine Christmas lights.
Walking around town commons and driving around to see houses
Movies- Bad Mom's Christmas and The Man that Invenented Christmas
Tree lightings

A Christmas Carol- the Christmas Carol has to be the most done play in America. Almost everyone does it. You could go to Trinity Rep to see it for a lot of money or your local Community Theater to see it on the cheap. We are seeing it at Stadium Theater for a second time because it was so great last year Tickets, 21, and 26 http://www.stadiumtheatre.com/events/a-christmas-carol/114

The Motifri Magazine (which is a hipster, stoner magazine, but quite useful when looking for something to do) has a theater listing each month. You can easily find A Christmas Carol along with other holiday themed plays http://motifri.com/

Jordan's Furniture in Avon has a 4-D movie ride, a Christmas Laser light show, an indoor ice rink, and an Enchanted Village.

Old Sturbridge Village Christmas by Candlelight (you can read about it here)http://southernnewenglandoutdoors.blogspot.com/2015/12/old-sturbridge-village-christmas-by.html

Boston Pops Holiday Pops. Seeing the Pops with Keith Lockhart was a bucket list goal for me. We went last year. Absolutely awesome. My  review-http://southernnewenglandoutdoors.blogspot.com/2016/12/boston-pops-holiday-concert-review.html

Although the Boston Pops are the end all when it comes to orchastra, getting to Boston does suck. There are many other places that have holiday pops orchestras. Finding them with a little research wouldn't be difficult.

These are just some ideas. We are always looking for new things to do. Like I said, find your Christmas. However, if you just can't wait for it to be over because you are stressed, you are doing it all wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment