Saturday, September 9, 2017

Rhode Island Philharmonic at Slater Park

A few weeks ago I was fishing at Roger Williams Park. On my way out I noticed a sign on a telephone pole announcing a free concert by the Rhode Island Philharmonic that evening. I was intrigued, but obviously, finding out about it only hours before meant I couldn't go. However, I did what I always do, and researched them. I found out they were going to play four free summer concerts. The one at the park was the second. The third concert was in Bristol the day I left for Philly. The last concert was tonight at Slater Park in Pawtucket only fifteen minutes from my house. I circled the date on the calendar and found out that this was my Saturday off from work.

 I saw the concert set list and knew most of the songs. I don't know diddly about classical music. But I do know I like the Patriotic songs like the Washington Post March and the 1812 Overture. They also had on the set list a couple of scores from movies including Star Trek and Pirates of the Caribbean.

I was pretty pumped to go. Even as I was coming home from Philly, very sad vacation was over, my first happy thought was knowing I would soon be going to see the Philharmonic Summer Pops. I found out yesterday that besides the Pops, there was also going to be a fair with crafts and food vendors. Even more surprisingly, at 8 pm, there would be fireworks. I couldn't believe my luck. I quickly  realized the day would be more than just a quick 90 minute concert but an all afternoon fun event.

We got to Slater Park around 4:15, there were way more cars and people than I imagined. Still, we found a parking spot right away and walked over to the stage and put down a blanket and chair to save our spot. Next we went to the craft fair tents where Laurie could look at that stuff. Happily, I got some food at the vendors. There were multiple food trucks. I ended up with pulled pork sandwich and Lau got mac and cheese with BBQ pulled chicken on top. We had a few minutes to eat, but the concert started shortly thereafter.

The band started with the Star Spangled Banner. They stood while playing it. Then they went into the concert with songs like William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger Theme) and Pomp and Circumstance (the song we all walked up to the stage during graduation ceremonies).

They played a few more songs including the Star Trek and Pirates scores. They played without an intermission because it was going to be a cool night. At the end they played "America the Beautiful". The conductor said before the 1812 Overture it would be the last song.
Francisco Noya

I'm not normally one to complain when I go to anything free, because...well...it's free. However the last song on the set list was Stars and Stripes Forever. I really wanted to hear it and I sat through 1812 a little annoyed. If you are going to put out a set list, it seemed to me they should stick to it.  When it was over the orchestra bowed to a crowd standing ovation. Then the conductor Francisco Noya said "How about one more?! I'll see what I can stir up" Then they started playing Stars and Stripes Forever. It made my night.

The Philharmonic played about 90 minutes. I was smiling the whole time. Like I said, I know jack about classical music, but I liked the music and could clearly tell how talented they were.

After the concert, it was about an hour until the fireworks went off. They were awesome. I don't normally say nice things about Pawtucket in general, but I can say they sure as hell know how to put on a community gathering. Great food, great free concert and fireworks. I had myself pretty pumped up for today and it could easily have been a letdown, but it wasn't. I had a great day.

If you have any interest in seeing the Rhode Island Philharmonic, their home base is the Veterans Memorial Auditorium. They have shows listed on the website. If you would like to  see a free summer concert next year, do as I did at Roger Williams Park, store it away to memory and make a point to try to go next year. They played Narraganset Beach, Roger Williams Park, Independence Park in Bristol and Slater Park. I'm sure all the places have other activities and/or some food.


Before I went to Slater Park I went carp fishing
catching a couple carp and my first white catfish of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment