Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Missing out

This is one of those posts to explain why I haven't wrote any posts.

The past few days has seen some lights out fishing. The Canal as been red hot and despite rough water, the albie fishing has been off the charts. I have missed it.

Last week, the canal was great one day. I was working. So of course, the next day I went down. It was dead. I rode my bike 13 miles. Tried multiple spots, sometimes more than once. Didn't see a thing. To put salt on the very fresh raw wound. My friend Dave went to 'gansett that day and caught multiple albies. Ouch

This Sunday and Monday saw hundreds of false albacore caught. I was, yup, working. I got out of work early both days and drove down. Both days the action stopped cold an hour before I got there. Very frustrating.

Apparently the Canal was on fire again yesterday. Fish were on mackerel for most of the afternoon. I had friends call and send pictures via phone. I was working. I couldn't get out of work early enough to justify the hour drive. Getting burned on both Sunday and Monday added to the decision to stay home after work. Oh well. Is it time to retire yet?


The good news is the fall fishing really hasn't started in Rhode Island. Maybe the albies will still be around after the tropical storms finally disperse. I'm not hopeful but we will see. The striper fishing should continue to improve over the coming weeks. So all is not lost (how is that for putting a positive spin on a sad situation?)


The other thing I did was go to the McCoy Stadium Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival on Saturday. I was looking forward to it and planned on writing a blog post. Usually when I try something new I am pleasantly surprised at how fun it is (going to polo, RI Philharmonic, Waterfire).

Not so with the Food Truck Festival. I didn't really like any of the food I tried. I bought a pulled pork sandwich and cornbread and they were both very dry. Also, prices were in the $9-12 range. How much money can you realistically spend on small portions until you get full?

As for the craft beers, I was even more disappointed. I very rarely drink. At the festival, we were given vouchers to try eight craft beers. You get 2 ounce sample cups to try. This was perfect and I was looking forward to try beers that I heard of but never tried. I was looking forward to Wachusett Blueberry, Dogfish, Shipyard and others. It turns out that I was wrong that I don't really like most beer. Instead, I hate most beer! I thought all of the ones except Wachusett Blueberry was disgusting. How anyone can drink an IPA is beyond me. One beer was supposed to have a touch of peanut butter in the after taste. I thought I might like it. WRONG!!! Just gross. Make fun of me all you want but I'll stick to lemonade. Thank you very much.

All in all, not my best week of the year. But it makes those great weeks that much more special :)


No comments:

Post a Comment