Monday, June 12, 2017

Sometimes the Guide gets the Big one

Honestly, I would have traded this fish and gone fishless if I could
if it meant Ronnie caught it. But what are you gonna do?
He still did quite well landing a couple of 8-10 pounders
Tonight I took my friend Ronnie in the canoe in search of the big blues I caught Friday. I used to work with Ronnie's mother until they moved to the Carolinas a couple years ago. I took Ronnie fishing a few times when he was younger. The kid (now 16) is a rarity these days. He is an outdoorsman. He fishes and hunts (a lot) having gotten himself multiple deer, ducks and wild pigs.

Ronnie is up on vacation and contacted me to ask if I wanted to go fishing while he was up. I was glad to plan a trip. I had to work today (and tonight) so we fished after I got out of work this afternoon. I put the canoe on the car and met him at 3:45. I really wanted to put Ronnie on those big bluefish if I could.

If the bay was rough we were going to try a pond for largemouth. If it was calm, we were after the blues. When I pulled up to the put in, it was very calm. The shoreline protected it from the southwest wind. We put in, and paddled to the cove I caught them Friday. We didn't get a hit. I was afraid that might happen. This hot spell warmed the water ten degrees in two days.  Luckily we found them in slightly deeper water.

The blues were extremely fussy tonight. We both had roughly 20 hits each. They would swipe the lure or swirl behind it. We only landed two fish each. I got one that my scale said was 19 pounds. However, I am positive there is no way the fish was that big. I might believe 15, but not 19. It was still a very nice fish.

Since I used my new Bass Pro version of a Boga Grip, I landed all four of our fish. Unfortunately, because of this, I did not get a picture of Ronnie with his very respectable ten pounders. I really wish I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment