Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Carp Fishing every night

I guess when I don't write a post for a while, I feel like I should. I don't know if anyone cares or not if I go a few days without writing.  One thing writing blog posts does is make it easy to look up things I want to remember. These posts are basically journal entries so if I want to find the date I caught a certain species, it is easy.   As for the last few days, one thing I can tell you, despite very moody weather, my evenings after work have been the same- carp fishing.

I've gone carp fishing five times since Friday. I've fished in a snow squall, a downpour, misty days, and one rather nice evening. You would think the fishing would be at worst awful or at best, inconsistent. However, I have found the exact opposite to be true. I've gone carp fishing seven times since March 27. I have only blanked once in that time. The goose egg was last night (Tuesday). However my friend Dave got a 14 pounder, so although I didn't get one, fishing wasn't bad that night either.

I  got my season's biggest (18 pounds) during the snow squall. I haven't been killing them since my best nights have averaged two fish. Still, considering the extremely cold water for April, I will gladly take it.

All of my fish have been caught on sweet corn fished behind a method ball. I am using a size 8 hook.  I use a hair rig all of the time. I have decided to use a method ball one hundred percent of the time this year even in spots that historically they have not been needed.

I am really hoping the warm weather early next week gets the bigger carp active. I plan on putting in some serious time over the next ten days. Although I do not plan on abandoning carp like I did last year once the stripers come in, I'm sure that is all I will think about. Until then, I'm enjoying my evenings chasing carp.

No comments:

Post a Comment