Friday, January 13, 2017

The Ups and Downs of Birding Today

Red Headed Woodpecker
The choice was skiing or birding. Since we have had such warm weather the last few days, it made more sense to bird on a nice day than to ski in the slush.  I planned on doing a "big day" to see how many species I could see. On a winter big day, I usually hope for a around fifty. The plan was to start my day around sunrise. Getting up around 6:30 and being birding by 7:30 would give me enough sleep and enough sunlight.

I ended up leaving the house at 7:15 after sleeping later than I wanted. To compound my frustration, there was an obnoxious amount of traffic on I-295 that caused me to waste another thirty minutes. I probably would have avoided this traffic if I left at my scheduled time. By the time I got to my first birding location it was 8:45 ( Firehouse Pond, near Charleston Breachway)

I got lucky there. I saw four Northern Pintails, they were the first I'd seen this year. I was quite happy since they were the hardest duck for me to find last year not seeing any until three weeks ago. From there, my plan was to bird my way down to Watch Hill and take a walk at Napatree Point. At each location I had target birds.

When I go to a spot or "on a chase" I really hope for fifty percent success. I figure the bird is either there or it is not. Even if a target bird is where you want it to be, you still have to find it and identify it. This is easier when it is a duck because if it is on a pond you'll see it. Not so easy with little song birds. Looking for a rare songbird or one that has been reported is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Next I went to Ninigret NWR. The main target was a Lesser Black Backed Gull. There has been one there consistently the last few winters (native to Europe but seen somewhat regularly in the states). I saw it last year. I walked out to Grassy Point and "think" I saw it. It looks like the common Herring Gull but has yellow legs. I saw it in the water then it flew off. When it flew, I thought I saw yellow legs, but I couldn't be sure, so I'm not calling it.

From there I went to Burlingame Campground. A Red Headed Woodpecker has been living there for a year now. They are not native to New England. For some reason this guy has taken up residence at one of the campsites. I opened my car door, looked up and there it was. Easiest target bird ever. I then walked down to the water. I was hoping for some ducks but it was so windy the waves made it impossible to scope the water.

Wind! It was very breezy today. It made birding very difficult. The small birds stay hidden in the brush. Another problem is using the scope. In a strong wind, it moves enough so it can't focus on  far away birds. I had trouble with this at Moonstone Beach, Beavertail and Frigate Road.

From Burlingame, I went to Napatree. I hoped to see shorebirds. I knew the wind would be howling, but I hoped that shorebirds would be at the little tidal pond. I saw everything I hoped for. There weren't a lot of birds. I saw one or two of seven species including Ruddy Turnstone.

From Nap, I worked my way back north. I stopped at East Beach. I was sure I'd see Red Breasted Nuthatch, Yellow Rump and maybe a Hairy Woodpecker. I saw all three in big numbers a couple weeks ago. Even in the wind, I thought I could call out one or two. That was until I saw the hunter!
It turns out he was rabbit hunting. I don't have a problem with this. He had as much right to be there as me. I talked to him for a minute and he was a nice guy. He told me to feel free to keep birding. "As long as you're not a rabbit, you're safe" was his quote. I still decided to leave. He has gotten a rabbit, which meant he fired his gun. This scared all the birds. I didn't see a single songbird in a half hour. I wished him luck and drove away.
Sanderling

As you can see, between my late start, the wind, and hunters, the cards were stacked against me today. I went to a few more spots birding right up until dark. I saw a total of thirty two species, which quite honestly is pathetic for a full day of birding. Of those eighteen are new for the year bringing my Rhode Island total to 47.  There were a lot of easy birds I just didn't see such as turkey vulture. There were also a lot of easy target birds that were not around. There are always Surf Scooters at Beavertail but not today. As for the harder "chase" birds, I saw the woodpecker and pintail. I struck out with many more including the gull at Ninigret and three ocean species at Beavertail.

Lastly, I did see some birds that I just can't confirm. I got buzzed by a small hawk at Moonstone Beach. I'm sure it is a sharp shin, but I didn't get a good enough look. I saw crows, but didn't hear them so I don't know if they are American or fish crows. Also, at Trustom, there were a lot of ducks on the pond. I bet there were five species I could have added, but the damn wind.

You win some, you loose some. Other than the Red Headed Woodpecker and Northern Pintail, Mother Nature kicked my ass today!

No comments:

Post a Comment