Saturday, August 6, 2016

Remember your memory card! Charlestown Breachway Mudflats Birding

The worst named bird ever, Short Billed Dowitcher
The last two days I went to one of my favorite summertime places, the mudflats at Charlestown
Breachway. The mudflats are a great place to see migrating shorebirds. Besides the birding, the mudflats and Ninigret Pond is just a fun place to be. There are always kayakers exploring the pond during the summer. People will go clamming for both soft shelled clams and quahogs.

Of course, my main focus was birding. Low tide, the best tide, was in the afternoon both days so I didn't leave my house until 1 pm. I didn't see many unusual shorebirds. The biggest surprise was how many Piping Plover I saw. There were at least twenty both days.

On the other hand, I did have a big disappointment. On Thursday I started taking pictures of birds that were very close to me. I looked down to see what one of the photos looked like. My camera told me "Memory Card Not Inserted! I left it in my computer from the last time I downloaded pictures. I was so pissed at myself. I had no excuse for doing this, just a careless oversight.
Laughing Gull

Of course, I saw one bird that I didn't know what it was. It was slightly bigger than the other peeps feeding. It had red on its neck. If I could have gotten a picture I could have put it online for ID help. I went back Friday hoping it was still there but no such luck.

So I relearned a valuable lesson  to do a mental checklist before going on a daytrip. Remembering the camera isn't enough. Checking for memory card and making sure the battery is charged is just as important.



Semipalmated Sandpiper




Piping Plover

Least Sandpiper

Willet


Just a cool place











No comments:

Post a Comment