Saturday, August 20, 2016

2nd Story Theater, Warren, RI- The Sunshine Boys

Thursday night I pulled myself away from the Olympics. I had bought tickets to go see a play with my brother at a small theater in Warren, RI. The theater is called 2nd Story Theater. My boss told me about it a few months ago and said it was really cool.
   
I went online and saw the plays for the summer. In June the play "Tuesday's with Morrie" was playing. I had read the book and wanted to see it. However, the book was so sad, I decided to pass. So I asked my brother what play he most wanted to see was. He chose the "Sunshine Boys". The tickets were a birthday present and a chance for two busy brothers to hang out.

The play is about a retired comic duo that hadn't spoken in eleven years. They fought a lot during their forty three years together. As expected, fate brings them back together for one more show.  From the first line to the last, the show was funny. We, along with the audience, laughed out loud multiple times.

The playhouse itself is really cool. It is in downtown Warren just off of Route 114. The play that we saw was upstairs. We counted the seats, and as best as we could see, there are roughly only 160. The play was "in the round". The play is in the center of the room. All the seats are along the walls. There are no bad seats. There are only about five or six rows so no matter where you sit, you can see the eyes of the actors.
I took this picture before the play started. The stage is in the middle
of the room. You can see how small it is. There are only a few rows

Tickets for the plays are $30. Considering how expensive it it to go to PPAC and Trinity Rep are, I think this a very fair price.

  The play lasted an hour and forty five minutes including the short intermission. There is a bar downstairs if you want to get a drink (you can bring it up to your seat). There are multiple places to eat within a couple of blocks. Parking is simple, as there is a municipal lot directly across the street. There is also onstreet parking and other lots (you can see the parking areas at the website)

All in all, we had a great time. I will absolutely go back again. Plays go on year round. I am always looking for things to do during the winter to break up the monotony.

No comments:

Post a Comment