Saturday, June 11, 2016

Star Wars Night at McCoy Stadium

Henry Owens on the mound
When the ownership of the Pawtucket Red Sox said they had a plan to move to Providence a couple years ago, I was extremely disappointed. I love going to Paw Sox games and it wouldn't have been any fun fighting Providence traffic, paying higher ticket prices and paying to park in an expensive parking garage. I protested in the best way I know how. I didn't go to even one game last year. I'll be damned if I'll give you my money if you're going to screw me over.

The plan got cancelled, yet I held a grudge. Over the winter I got an email from the Paw Sox that I assume everyone that is on their email list received. The letter apologized for the Providence plan. It explained the reasoning and the new plan to stay in Pawtucket. The letter was brutally honest about the fact they hurt fans. They wanted a "second chance". In return, the Paw Sox would have many more promotions than ever before. There would be nights with discounted food.

I'm not very sympathetic to billionaires, however, I was impressed with the letter, and decided to start going to games again. After all, if the team was willing to spend a lot of money on promotions, then they truly were trying to reach out to the people.

Tonight's promotion was a Star Wars themed fireworks display. I got tickets and took DJ's two younger sisters(Amber and Kirsten) and their soon to be step sister Brittney.It turned out that the night was just about perfect, except the Paw Sox lost 3-2.

I wasn't sure how three girls from 9-15 would enjoy a three hour baseball game. I really took them for
The three girl's and Amber's ball
the fireworks. Brittney had been to one game before, and it was Amber and Kirsten's first. We walked in just as the national anthem was playing.

Henry Owens, who is one of Boston's top prospects was the starting pitcher. This meant nothing to the kids, but was great for me. The kids actually loved the game. Amber especially, was memorized by baseball. She asked me tons of questions. I was actually shocked on how into she was. Kirsten and Brittney both watched the whole game. When the Paw Sox had men on base at the bottom of the ninth, they were screaming and rooting them on. They were actually rooting for extra innings (I was rooting for fireworks).

Other cool things that happened tonight included a couple rounds of "the wave" and two home runs. Each kid got something special. Amber got a baseball thrown up to her from a player. Kirsten got a picture with Chewbacha and Brittney got one of the soft air toss balls given to her.

After the game, the fireworks display went on while John Williams score for Star Wars played in the background. It was awesome.

Even though there will not be any more Star Wars night this year, there are still other great
Kirsten and Chewy
promotions. There are a few more fireworks nights. There are bobblehead nights. I believe kids can run the bases after Sunday games. If you are interested, check out the website. Go to Tickets and Promotions. If you buy tickets for box seats, you can choose where you want to sit. Box seats are $13. General Admission is $9/adult and $6 for kids.
A bad picture of fireworks




No comments:

Post a Comment