Sunday, June 12, 2016

A Day for Girl Sports

Madison and her proud family
Today I went to two sporting events that are either played by girls or dominated by girls.

As soon as I got out of work today, I picked up Laurie at my house. We went directly to Rhode Island College. The state high school softball championship games were played today. The two teams in the Division 2 game were  Woonsocket vs. Moses Brown. My friend Susan's daughter plays on the team. Her daughter, Madison is a freshman starting in left field (she is a catcher by trade, but they already have a senior catcher) for Woonsocket. In a twist of fate, my boss sent his kids to Moses Brown. Although they were not participants in the game, there obliviously was a connection to both teams.

I got to the game late because of a crazy morning at work. When I walked in, it was the third inning and Woonsocket was winning by a run. By the end of the inning they were down three. I won't bore you with the play by play of every inning.

Woonsocket was the home team. They were down 8-5 in the bottom of the seventh (last inning).
State Champions
Somehow, cool as a cucumber the Villa Novans came back to win the game and take the title. For sure, the close games Woonsocket has played this year helped them in the pressure situation. Moses Brown had at least three batters with two outs ( not positive of actual inning breakdown since my adrenaline was pumping and I was losing my voice) and couldn't close the deal.

I was very happy for Madison and her mom Susan. They played a great game. Congratulations Woonsocket Ladies.

After the game, Laurie and I had tickets for the U.S. Nationals for Rhythmic Gymnastics. As I have mentioned Laurie is a huge gymnastics fan. Last week she went to the men's nationals in Hartford, CT. The event today was in Providence. The winners on the trampoline event were the U.S. competitors in the Olympics. So for that event, it wasn't just about being national champion, but also Olympic trials.

The disciplines (oh, yes, I know the terminology) were trampoline, tumble track,  double mini trampoline, acrobatic gymnastics, clubs, and ribbon. I liked seeing the people fly through the air on the track and trampoline. However, it was difficult for me to sit through the other stuff. I went to the figure skating championships with Laurie over the winter. I admit, I had fun. I found today's event mostly boring. I understand the hours of practice, so I never put down any athlete, But for me, I could
They get pretty high on the
trampolne
have found something better to do.

My favorite part of the competition was the men's tumble track and trampoline. The men can flat out fly. They could get fifteen feet or more above the trampolnie. Then when you see all the flips and twists, it is impressive

 Going to the event was something out of my wheelhouse. However, if the Rythmic Gymnastics come to town again, I will pass. Even Laurie wasn't into it like she would be at regular gymnastics (like uneven bars and balance beam)

The best part was the announcement of the Olympians. Doesn't matter what sport it is, if you see people representing the country you root for and support them. When they were announced, red, white, and blue balloons came down from the rafters.

So needless to say, I had way more fun at the softball game. Going to these games today made me realize that a little thinking outside the box might be a good thing. Instead of paying hundreds of dollars to see the Red Sox and Patriots play (which I think is crazy), it would be just as much fun to support a friend or relative in little league or other youth sports.

Even going to the gymnastics event got me thinking about going to college sporting events more often. Providence College has an excellent basketball team, and it plays at the Dunkin Donuts Center. Most colleges have many sports, I might start taking in the occasional game.

Olympians



No comments:

Post a Comment