Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sandhill Crane, Bike Rides, Carp, and running

Today was very nice in southern  New England. After work I decided to go to Sachuest and play with my new camera and photograph deer with it. Unfortunately, I was not the only person with this idea. The parking lot was full. Many cars were driving in, and looping back out. I decided to kill some time by going to Sandy Point Beach and wait until about 4 pm, when I knew the parking lot would be less crowded. While sitting in my  car I got extremely tired. I wrapped up my sweatshirt and used it as a blanket to rest my eyes. While sitting there, I realized I was burning precious (warm) daylight. So I came up with a plan B. I went toTiverton to Seapowet. Either I was going to see the continuing Sandhill Crane or go for a walk a.t Emily Rueker Wildlife Sanctuary.

As luck would have it, the Sandhill was around and fairly close to the road. I sat in my car (so not to scare it) and photographed it for half an hour. Then I drove around and saw some hawks. I was quite satisfied with my efforts. I decided to call it an afternoon. I went home and went for a long overdue run. It was nice to run in a T-shirt.

Meanwhile, as I was doing all that., my son was off on a twenty mile bike ride. While he was pedaling, he came across my friends Dave and Tom. They were carp fishing and had caught a couple. I guess it was a productive late winter day for a lot of people!
Sandhill on the left. On the right at the top of the reeds is a Northern Harrier hawk flying

No comments:

Post a Comment