Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Western Vacation Part 3 Longhorn

It's mid winter. There aren't any stripers to fish for in Providence. There is thin layer of ice on the ponds but it is not safe. Since there really isn't anything going on, I thought I'd share some pictures from my vacation out west in 2010. Of course Yellowstone and the other places I went are not in southern New England, but maybe these pictures will inspire someone to take a trip to any of these places. I'll put about ten to fifteen pictures of each place in a post. Each post will be of just one place. I'll start each post with this opening paragraph. If there are any question about any of the places (admission price, distance from town, etc.. just leave them in comments section and I will gladly answer them). Since these post take about five minutes and there is not a lot of outdoors stuff going on right now, I'll probably post everyday, so check back often.


Before we left on the trip I put a list of all the things I hoped to see  on the back page of my vacation journal. One column was of wild animals such as wolves, grizzlies, elk, etc. The other column were features such as caves, petroglyphs, arches, etc. The one exception to my wild animal list was longhorns. I have wanted to see a longhorn as long as I can remember.

 In between Blue Mounds State Park and the Badlands is a tourist trap called 1880's Town. The billboard on the highway announced they had longhorns so we went. The tourist trap was pretty cool. There was a museum with a lot of memorabilia from Kevin Costner's movie "Dances with Wolves" which was filmed in the Black Hills. The town did have a couple of longhorns and I was excited to see them. My excitement faded a little as we jumped back onto I-90 there was a whole herd of longhorns on the other side of the ramp. I could have photographed these guys for free and saved myself the twenty bucks.





















No comments:

Post a Comment