Friday, December 11, 2015

Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus

The Main Stage
Tonight I went to the Attleboro Community Theater (ACT) and saw the play "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus". The Theater is an old Masonic Lodge in downtown Attleboro right next to the YMCA. The tickets are 18 for an adult and 16 for a student. The play starts at 8 pm.

I went with DJ's little sisters Amber and Kirsten. Amber is 13 years old while Kirsten is nine. I only tell you there ages in case you have kids and are interested in going. Amber really enjoyed herself. Although Kirsten was well behaved and polite, I could tell it wasn't for her.

The play is based on a letter written to the editor of a newspaper by an eight year old girl asking if there is a Santa. One of the writers at the paper is going through tough times due to the loss of his wife and unborn child. The little girl's (Virginia) family is also going through a tough time as the father is out of work. The story is narrated by the editor of the newspaper.

Here is the thing about my "review". This is only the third play I have been to. I'm no expert on plays or musicals. What I can tell you, is that I have the utmost respect for anyone that stands on that stage in front of people they do not know and act.

So maybe I am a little biased, but I had an absolutely great time. I think my eighteen dollars spent could not have gone to a better place. I really liked the characters a lot. In my opinion all of the main characters were very believable and could act. Truthfully, even though this was a community play, I was just as happy as I would have been going to PPAC or Trinity Rep. Obviously the price tag was a whole lot more bearable. Even taking the money out of the equation, this play was out of this world.

Amber and Kirsten
The play is going on the rest of this weekend and next weekend also. If you want to go to a reasonably priced play that tells the true meaning of Christmas AND also shows real life and how not all of us are blessed with happiness, I highly recommend going to  "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus"

If the sentences are choppy, I apologize, I wrote this really quick before bed. Also I could not take pics during the show so all I could get were shots of the theater.


No comments:

Post a Comment