Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fishing Report for the Week


One of my smaller stripers I caught in the rough water
I have been out fishing seven of the last nine days. I’ve fished for largemouth/smallmouth bass, carp and stripers. Here are my findings.

Early in the week I fished for freshwater bass from shore. I only went the last 90 minutes before dark. I was catching one to three a night on an unweighted plastic worm. If you live in southeastern MA and bass fish don’t give up yet. I can tell you I wet waded and was plenty comfortable in the water after the initial shock. The water is still plenty warm enough for the bass to be actively feeding.

I went carp fishing a Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday night we nailed them from late afternoon until after dark. Between the two of us we caught about fifteen fish. We were using chick peas in a trout pond (no corn allowed). Friday before heading down to the ocean, I stopped again. In two and a half hours I caught two and Dave caught two. All were nice commons in the mid teen range. I can’t tell you that carp fishing is hot everywhere, but if you put in your time and hit multiple spots you should find some active carp.

Thursday night I tried fishing for stripers all over East Providence, RI. I did not catch any. I didn’t have any hits and saw very little bait. I’ve heard there menhaden way out at Sabins Point a couple weeks ago. It felt like I was fishing in a swimming pool. Maybe things will get better in the upcoming weeks but Thursday was an official step backwards.

While I was up in the bay Thursday getting blanked, my friend Dave was nailing them at the ocean. Between Dave and his son they caught about 30 stripers.  I went down Friday. The ocean was very angry thanks to a large offshore storm. The water was fishable, but common sense dictated that wading up to your chest was out of the question. I ended up catching 13 stripers on a wooden egg and cocahoes. I saw a lot more than that caught. At least 100 stripers were caught in the rough white water this afternoon. I didn’t see any keepers but with action that hot, who cares. At least three guys had over 20 each. Fishing petered out at dark and we all left.

After having so much fun Friday of course I went back to the ocean Saturday. The water was actually much rougher. I couldn’t believe the waves were bigger and faster. A couple fish had been caught so I put on my waders. At first I didn’t get anything, I thought there was a good chance I was going to go fishless. Then it was suggested to me to try the other side of the point. That worked, I got 7 small schoolies in half an hour.  After fish stopped hitting, I went back to the other side of the point again. I saw a few fish caught but nothing like Friday.

 So there is my fishing report. Other than Narragansett Bay, it is extremely positive. Freshwater bass are still hitting because of the warmish water. Carp fishing is great in places. Striper fishing is great if you can find bait however stripers are not around if there’s no bait. The rough water certainly made a difference also. I honestly don’t think striper fishing will be awesome by any means. There will be fishless days, but knowing that at some place along the shore fish are within casting distance. That in itself is a reason to keep looking for them. Lastly, I haven’t been out trout fishing but stocking trucks have been out in anticipation of Columbus Day. Now is the time to be out!

 

2 comments:

  1. It's a nice informative blog about fishing report.Thanks for your valuable information.

    Alaska Fishing Vacation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. I hope the salmon runs were thick this year for you!

    ReplyDelete