Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Ramble about Summer not being my favorite season and a Quick Fishing Report


When I was a little kid, like millions of little kids, I could not wait until summer. Even through the  
years, I would tell people that would say “it’s too hot” that it beats winter. Up until recently, I would say summer was my favorite season. For people that say they love fall, I would make fun of them and tell them their favorite season is when plants die.

As I have mentioned many times on this blog, the shortening of daylight hours used to depress me. I wouldn’t go as far as to say medically depressed in need of medication, but certainly, I was gloomy. Also as mentioned, winter time stripers have made the short days so much easier to deal with.

Over the last couple of years, as I have spent more time fishing and less time doing other daytrip type things, I now have much more appreciation for other seasons and less for summer. Spring is probably my favorite time to fish. From mid-April to mid-May, fishing is great for almost every species. During my days off in the spring, I love going on fishing adventures. These include trips to Wachusetts Reservoir, Cape Cod trout ponds, and chasing trophy carp. I still find time to chase stripers a few times a week.

Summer for me has not been nearly as exciting. I can’t justify blowing the same amount of gas on summer fishing adventures. Carp fishing has not been very good this summer except on rainy days. Stripers of decent size had been no existent for Rhode Island shore fishermen since spring . Trout fishing is over by June first in most places.

My summer trip ideas consist of bottom fishing the ocean for scup, fluke, and sea robins. Yet every time I have the opportunity to do just that, I cop out. Why? Because for whatever reason, I can’t justify blowing 30 dollars’ worth of gas for small ocean fish. I write it down on my to do list every year that I’m going to spend more time bottom fishing, yet I never do it more than once or twice. This summer I bottom fished one time (catching a scup and a choggie). More often I decide to go carp fishing, but even then, I know that catching one on a hot sunny day, my chances are slim.

The one summertime adventure I truly love is New Hampshire, but since going to NH is more of a getaway and not a daytrip, it’s not relevant to this rant

For a night time past time, I catfish more often than I used too. I probably went once every couple weeks this summer. I do it for something to do. The point I’m making in this ramble, is although I still fish during the summer, I don’t get excited about it.

WHICH is why I am glad fall is here, like the spring, I get excited about fishing adventures. Unlike the spring where I do a ton of different types of fishing, in the fall my adventures will take my mostly to Narragansett.  During days that I have to work, I’ll fish for carp, bass, and stripers in Upper Narragansett Bay.

On days off through the fall, I’ll be in Narragansett searching for stripers, blues and albies. Hopefully, the bait comes in and we have a repeat of the great shore fishing we had the last two years. The last two years, bay anchovies were the main baitfish around. When they are in thick fishing can be fantastic.

By this time last year, the bay anchovies were very abundant. Many of us are worried they might not show up in big numbers. If they do not show up, fall striper fishing will be a big disappointment on the oceanfront.

So do I have a backup plan in the striper fishing sucks at the ocean? First off, fishing would have to be terrible for a few weeks in a row for me to not keep trying. Secondly, I believe the bay is going to repeat like last year and I think there will be good numbers of schoolies around again. So if I don’t catch them in South County, I think there will still be a lot to catch in the bay. Third, yes if striper fishing does turn out to be awful, I’ll go down the Cape and fish for trout. Some of the Cape Cod kettle ponds are absolutely gorgeous with the trees lit up in their autumn glory.

Fishing Report

If you have read that long ramble here is a fishing update for you. I went carp fishing Friday morning hoping to catch some before the rain stopped. I did not, but I fished after the sun came out. I ended up with a very short, very fat 17 pounder. I have heard carp fishing has been very good even during sunny days  www.ricarpfishing.blogspot.com  Even though the water is still kind of warm, I think the carp are out of their summer doldrums. It’s nice to have them back in the game.

Friday night I fished Upper Narragansett Bay from 5:30 until after dark. I caught four schoolies. Two were caught before sunset, the other two after sunset. Three of them were very small; the other was a solid 24 inches. I was pleasantly surprised to catch that one. Everywhere I went, I ran across snapper blues, so if you’re after them, they should not be hard to find. Like last year, I think it will be another banner year for them. Two schoolies were caught on zoom flukes, the others on bucktail jigs. Fishing was not hot by any means, but I’ll take four schoolies for a trade of a gallon of gas. 

Warm weather is on the way out, get out and enjoy it while it’s still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment