Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Total disregard for the Rules


This tool is in a belly boat within view of thousands of
drivers in a public water supply


On my way to work last Sunday morning I was driving by Hopping Hill Reservoir on Route 120 in North Attleboro. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw a little boat on the five acre lake. There are signs all over that say no boating. This reservoir serves as drinking water for the city of Attleboro. I was going to stop and let these guys know they shouldn’t be boating, but I knew the first police car to drive by would stop. I sometimes put my nose into other people’s business when they are doing something wrong. However, Sunday I just kept driving. Sure enough 40 minutes later (I was running some product from one store to another) the boat and the truck used to carry it were not to be found.

On Tuesday night I was fishing another water supply reservoir for Attleboro. The entire shoreline is fishable because there aren’t any houses. There is a half mile long view of the lake from a major highway. What do I see while I’m fishing? That’s right, a guy in a belly boat fishing the center of the lake. He should have never been fishing from a belly boat. There are signs all over this lake also. 

He shouldn’t have been out there at all. However he could have concealed himself. This lake is large with an irregular shoreline. If he wanted to fish some protected coves, no one would have seen him. Instead he fished right across the middle of the lake. Literally thousands of people could see him from the highway.

These lakes are water supplies for a fairly large city. If douche bags keep breaking the rules, then these lakes might be off limits to everyone. I’m sure the city cares more about protecting their water supply then the recreation of a few anglers and dog walkers.  I’m not a fan of some rules either, but I follow them for the sake of public access.

Lastly, I want to mention litter. Quite often when I fish I pick up other people’s trash. I HATE doing this. It helps keep the environment clean. I pick up the trash so the next person can have an enjoyable outdoor experience.  I was fishing a carp lake in Cranston last year. This place was covered in trash. I fished it a couple times in the same week. The second time I brought a couple large 45 gallon trash bags. I easily filled both of them. Sadly, I picked up at least 15 empty cans of corn. There is only one segment of society that would leave cans of corn, carp fishermen.

I don’t want to preach here, I know I give enough of my opinions and sometimes use my blog as a bully pulpit. But, we all have to do our part. Following the rules at public reservoirs is the only way to keep the access open. Just a small amount of trash can close down access to some great fishing hole. Some rich or bitchy neighbors can easily convince the leaders they voted for to put up a fence or “No Trespassing “sign.  Let’s do our part and keep things clean

2 comments:

  1. Its a belly boat invasion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a huck finn style raft out there this past week !

    ReplyDelete