Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Was Here


When I found out that trout were stocked in Massachusetts ponds last week, I realized the stocking is my unofficial beginning of spring. This March has been consistently cold. We’ve had only a couple days that have topped fifty degrees. Since the weather has been so cold, bass and carp fishing has been slow to get going.

So last Saturday morning, I took off for the Cape. I fished a couple ponds. The water was a little cold so the trout were not in a chasing mood. That said, I stuck with lures even though I would have had more success with Powerbait.  I ended up catching a total of five trout. All of them were caught on small Roostertails. I caught them on two different colors, yellow coachdog and white.  It was not hot and heavy but I’ll take it.

At the second pond six guys were fishing (three men and three teens). Between them, they had at least six or eight poles out. All were set up with Powerbait. I saw about eight trout caught by these guys. There was no doubt Powerbait was a much better choice in the cold water.   
I chose not to use it. I had no desire to keep any trout. Trout caught on Powerbait have a tendency to swallow the hook. Also I’d rather cast and move then sit in one spot. So I probably came home catching less trout I could have potentially caught.
 
Then, just as I thought we had finally turned the corner and spring was here, Boom! We get another snowstorm on Tuesday. Here is to warmer days ahead.

For a list of Massachusetts ponds that have been stocked go to Mass wildlife www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw Click on the “Stocking Info” on the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment