Sunday, January 6, 2013

RI Enviremental Police were doing there job Saturday Night


Last night I went striper fishing in hopes of catching my first striper of the year. I was determined to put in a lot of hours to reach this goal. I got to my first spot at 5:30 pm. I tried multiple spots and much to my dismay, I am still fishless.

The first spot I fished was also my last. Essentially, I did a circle around the river. The only place that had any fish was a dark area behind a rockpile. A couple teenagers were fishing the spot and one of them caught a bunch of fish on a small swimmer. I had a swimmer also but it was bigger than his. The fish wouldn’t touch it. The kids left about eight. I fished another 40 minutes with no luck.

At 8:40 I finally gave up. I emerged from behind my rockpile and saw a large SUV parked directly behind my car. I was parked on an otherwise dark deserted road. The SUV was running, so obviously I was slightly nervous going back to my car.

I opened up my trunk to put my gear away. Someone got out of the SUV. It turned out to be a RI Environmental Police Officer. He asked me if I caught anything. While we were talking he used his flashlight to see through the windows of my car. He asked me if I had any coolers. I did not. He was looking for undersized illegally kept stripers. Since I do not keep any fish, I did not have anything to worry about.

He then asked me to show him my license, which I had left in the car. I showed it to him. After that I told him all the spots I fished and what lures I was using. I told him about the kid that caught the fish earlier. We talked for a couple minutes and I was on my way.

Ever since I started winter time fishing in Providence a couple years ago, I have hated winter much less. I used to be depressed until spring came. Now that I have stripers to fish for (even if I don’t catch them) I am so much happier. Just being able to get out of the house and fish for a couple hours a few days a week makes winter so much more bearable.

 I want to thank the Environmental Police Officer that was out at 8:40 on a Saturday night for protecting this fishery that I love so much. This was the second time in a couple weeks I have seen an EPO in the area.  When I saw him last time there were a lot of guys fishing. He was looking for illegally kept fish. With their presence, poachers are much less likely to keep undersized schoolies. I think most of the regular winter time fishermen are happy to see the authorities. Most of us HATE seeing undersized or too many fish kept. I have called on poachers before.  Glad to see you out there this winter.

Thank you,

Nick Pacelli

1 comment:

  1. Nice posting, fish and game are rarely recoginized for the work they do.. Love that you are still fishing... if you are planning on being in NH at all look us up, also Martin Luther King weekend we are going to be staying in a cabin on Lake Ossipee (for my birthday) mostly family and friends but there is fishing 100 feet from the back door, you can come if you want... we are going to try to catch trout in the Ossipee river that weekend too.
    Clay

    ReplyDelete