Friday, October 19, 2012

My last Narragansett Overnight and tons of schoolies


Laurie's biggest
I haven't wrote anything for over a week. Usually when I don't write it means I didn't have anything worth while to write about. For a change I haven't wrote any posts because I have been to busy fishing. When I haven't been at work, I have been fishing. Usually I have been going fishing straight from work. It has been a fun week.

On Sunday it was to nice out too watch the Patriots game. So my friend Laurie and I went out to enjoy the fall weather. Somehow I easily convinced her to go fishing. We headed to Upper Narragansett Bay and fished within site of the Providence sky line. We tried a couple of spots. Within minutes we found a school of breaking fish. We started catching fish almost immediately. It was fun catching schoolies. They were not very big but they numerous. I was catching mine on shad bodies and zoom flukes on a jighead. Laurie was catching them on a homemade bucktail jig that I made. It was all white with a red collar and weighed 3/8 of an ounce. Believe it or not, we ended up catching fifty between us. It was cool watching Laurie catch over twenty stripers. Not only that but she also caught the biggest one.

Obviously, the next night  I went back. I ended up with 15. All were caught on bucktail. I learned something from the night before. To keep this short, fishing the Upper Bay I caught over 50 stripers  this week. None were very big. The biggest was maybe 23 inches. I used my light schoolie rodwith only ten pound test line so each fish felt like a good fight.

On Wednesday night I went to the ocean. I am really enjoying my  Narragansett overnights sleeping in the car. However, if my last trip didn't go as planned, this one was a complete shock. I went to Narragansett and the waves were huge from the hurricane in the Atlantic. I went to the East Wall to sleep and I was in such awe of the size of the waves that I watched them for 20 minutes first. I saw one set of waves not break on the wall, but actually roll over it. They were coming in at over 10 feet. It was unfishable, but it was an awesome sight.

I did decide that I'm not going to do any more surf fishing over nights this year. The nights are so long now. Since it gets dark at 6:30 I can get in a few hours of fishing and still be home before midnight. On the flip side, I could get up early and fish from first light throughout the day  and fish into the dark. There is no need to sleep uncomfortable in my car more so now since the nights are getting colder.

Yesterday after sleeping until 11 am I decided to try for the schoolies again. A guy I know named Tom was there. Dave showed up a few minutes later. Between the three of us, we hit a bunch of spots. We only caught six fish between us. So apparently, this spot has cooled off too. Although six fish in a spot is a disappointing number in a location that would have held 100 fish a week ago, I admit I enjoyed myself. It was a nice day. I hung with a couple good guys and I caught a couple fish. Honestly when I left, I felt like I had a good day and was" high on life". I guess thats what it is all about.



1 comment: