Saturday, October 13, 2012

4 Blankets and a sleeping bag

I got up to New Hampshire for a couple days this week. Laurie and I went up one last time for the year to see the foliage. We went up on Wednesday morning and could have stayed till Friday, but the weather was not in our favor.

Wednesday morning we left around 9 am. We could have left earlier but we thought of a great plan to stop at the Robert Frost Farm in Derry on the way up. I checked the website and written in black and white, it was open until October 11. We went up on the tenth so this was good news to me. I have wanted to stop and see the farm for a couple years, but normally I'm leaving for NH either at an ungodly hour in the morning or after work. This was my first chance to go there and I was excited.

We pulled into the small dirt parking area about 10:30 and there was only one car in the lot. We got out and walked around the building and saw a CLOSED FOR THE SEASON SIGN. So we got back on the highway and headed to the mountains. Before we left we grabbed an apple off the apple tree and each of us took a bite. Maybe Frost himself planted the tree.

When we got to the mountains it was lovely out. It was about 45 degrees and rainy. The wind was blowing out of the northeast. Just the kind of weather that makes setting a tent up an adventure. After setting the tent up we drove around looking at the scenery. I thought about calling my friend Clay, but he was teaching school. Instead we went to Chutters and got candy and fudge. So we made some mac and cheese for supper, which was delicious. then we bundled up in the tent ( see name of post)

Next morning it was a balmy 36 degrees. Actually I'm being sarcastic but we knew in advance that it was going to be "brisk" The issue I had with Thursday morning was it was still rainy. The weather forecast was for a dry 55 degree day. That is something I could live with in mid October in New Hampshire. The drizzle was a disappointment. We still decided to drive around. We went down to Tripoli Road and Waterville Valley. It was pretty and we found some sunny areas.  We took a couple short walks.

Around 2:30 we decided it wasn't worth staying the extra night. The forecast for Friday morning was 35 and rainy. I did not want to take the tent down in that condition. It was Laurie's decision. She chose to go home.

So I had Friday to go fishing. I went to Narragansett. I didn't have a great morning. I caught a couple blues and a hickory shad. There were huge blitzes of blues off the avenues but they were way out. About 1 pm I decided I could do something more productive and headed home. Maybe the fishing picked up in the afternoon... I will never know

No comments:

Post a Comment