Saturday, May 29, 2010

Stripers in Providence






Two out of the last three nights I went striper fishing in a protected cove in Providence. I was fishing in my canoe. There were a ton of fish around but they were very picky. Fish were slurping bait right on the surface. Unlike the times when they blast bait and cause huge splashes these fish were gently feeding on the surface.
Thursday I got three fish all 26 inches. I tried everything in my saltwater tackle box. I could not figure out what they were keying on.

Last night I was determined to catch more then three. Long story short I had to work hard too catch fish again. I caught 7 but the good news was I figured out something they would hit. In the last 1/2 hour I caught 4 fish, plus had numorous other hits. I tried every type of soft plastic I had. I could get random hits but nothing consistant. They finally started hitting a small bomber plug. It was only 3 1/2 inches and since it was so small I had to keep very little pressure on the fish so the hooks wouldn't straighten.

My big fish of the night was 33 inches. It took a solid 10 minutes of it pulling me all over the cove to get it in. It was a fun night.

No comments:

Post a Comment