Sunday, May 23, 2010

First Keeper of the Year

Went out last night after ( what else) baseball. I went to Conimicut Point in Warwick. Got my waders on about 7:30 and headed out to the sandbar. This spot can be loaded with fish, but last night there were not many around. Other than myself, I only saw two other fish caught. I worked my way out the sandbar and turned around when I was at least 1/2 mile out into Narragansett Bay. I got my first hit about 8:45 but unfortunately, he shook himself free. About 15 minutes later I hooked up again. After a 10 minute battle landed a 30 inch striper. Even though I've promised my aunt some striper meat for over a year, I let it go. I was so far away from shore, I could barely see it. There was no way I was going to stop fishing and walk through all that soft sand and knee deep water.I wanted to keep fishing. Besides it was a beautiful fish and fought valiantly.
Sorry I don't have any pictures. I don't bring my camera out to Conimicut There is always the chance that a wake from an oil tanker going into Providence can go over my head and drench me. It has happened twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment