Friday, July 31, 2020

Little Stint

   If you read my blog posts in early July, you saw there was an eight day period that had four super rarities show up. All were European and Asian shorebirds thousands of miles from home. One of these birds was a Little Stint. It was either the second or third one ever seen in Rhode Island. It is a very rare bird for sure.

   So it was a bit of a surprise when  Scott Tsagarakis found a second one on the mudflats in Charlestown Wednesday. I got a chance to see it on Thursday morning before a whale watch I went on at 1 pm.

When the first one showed up in early July, I was at Napatree in the evening looking at one of those other mega rare birds. I rushed to the Breachway getting there just before sundown. I got to see the bird, but because the light was fading, I only got a few proof photos. However, I saw two lifers in the same day, so I wasn't complaining about photos!

   Thursday and also Friday morning I hit the Breachway. The Little Stint was still there both days. Unlike yesterday where I had a whale watch boat to catch, today I didn't have anything else to do. I spent about four hours on the mudflats. I watched the stint for around an hour. I sat down on the wet sand about thirty feet from the stint and a few hundred other peeps. The nice thing about sandpipers is they really don't fear humans. I think some of them prefer to be near people because they are safer from a swooping Peregrine Falcon.

   Because I was sitting and not posing a threat, the peeps got really close to me. Some of the Semi-Palmated and Least Sandpipers were just out of arms length. They were all around me feeding as though I wasn't there. This is a regular occurrence if you are quiet and still.

    As I said, the first time I saw a Little Stint a month ago, the light was fading. I didn't have a chance to sit quietly and enjoy the bird. Today, I had everything going for me. I had the time, better light, and a bettter camera. It was a privilege to photograph a bird that should be at a minimum in Portugal right now!

I could and will crop and play with the lighting on some of the photos, but all of these are uncropped and untouched





Least Sandpiper

Semi-Palmated Sandpiper

This little Least Sandpiper decided to take a nap
only about eight from me.

This was my best photo of the Little Stint I saw on July 6

No comments:

Post a Comment