Monday, September 12, 2016

Extra, Extra, Read All About It! (or pretend this is a news program) Albies are here!

We start off the news tonight's broadcast with our top story. The great gamefish known as False
Albacore (Albies) have invaded the Rhode Island shoreline. For those that don't know, albies are a warmwater fish. They come up to southern New England in early fall. They are unpredictable however. Some years to the disappointment to many, they just do not show up. Last year was a big year for them. By all accounts, it was predicted this would be another banner year thanks to the amount of bait around.

For a report lets go to our man in the field- Nick Pacelli

News person " Nick, what can you tell us?"

Nick- "Well, the albies are definitely here. I have seen them popping up all over the place. In multiple spots I have seen them in various numbers."

News person " Have you personally seen any or caught any?

Nick " Yes, I spent this afternoon fishing for them. What a great fish. I caught four of them and had a couple other hits. It was a great afternoon. Besides the ones I caught, I saw many others caught, at least twenty.  I talked to another fisherman that started fishing before me who caught the mind blowing number of nine!"
One of Dave's nine fish today!

News person- How does one catch an albies?

Nick- "Albies are very very difficult to catch. They are extremely fussy. That said, the techniques to catch them are quite simple. Most anglers use metal lures like Deadly Dicks and Kastmaster XL. The guys that seem to catch more fish use a wooden egg as a float and cast out a fly with a three foot mono leader. That is how I caught my fish today. An alternative method if you don't make flies would be to substitute the fly for a Zoom Fluke on a hook.

I made the fly myself. what a great feeling to catch an albie on a fly (and float) that you made yourself"

News person- It seems like the fishing is great in southern Rhode Island right now. We will let you get back to fishing.

Nick- Thanks guys, back to you in the studio

No comments:

Post a Comment