Monday, June 8, 2015

Blackstone Gorge- A most Pleasant Surprise

The last week of March I went exploring one day. I decided to go to the Blackstone Gorge in Blackstone, MA just across the Woonsocket line on Route 122. When I went, my area had been snow free for a few days. However, when I pulled into the parking lot, there was a few inches of slush on the ground. I was unprepared for this, and I was wearing sneakers. I didn't go down the short trail, but I did vow to return.

On a whim, Laurie and I decided to go there yesterday. It could not have been a better idea. The weather was comfortable, the trail was dry and the scenery was gorgeous. Right below the parking lot is a dam with a waterfall going over it. Just upstream from the dam is a canoe launch. Just downstream is a trail that runs along the edge of the river for half a mile. The river runs through a small gorge. It narrows and there are cliffs along both sides. The description says the cliffs rise 100 feet. I don't know about that, but I'd say there are spots you can look straight down at the water forty or fifty feet below.

The place reminded me of Purgatory Chasm, except it has a river running through it. I was dam near shocked at how wild the place felt knowing downtown Woonsocket is a mile away. There were some nice seats on top of the cliffs where we could dangle our feet over. The walk is pretty short, but there are some steep pitches and plenty of ups and downs. Because the trail was so short, I'd hesitate to call it strenuous, but in sections it was steep. None the less, the term I'd use for trails that have steep pitches, and smooth rock to climb would be...fun.

Another positive unexpected side note was that the place was full of mountain laurel which was in bloom. With all the eight foot high bushes in full bloom, it felt a lot like a microcosm of Eden. I was amazed by the beauty of this place. If you live within driving distance of the Woonsocket/ Blackstone area this little pocket wilderness is worth the trip.

Blackstone Gorge parking area is at the end of County St, which is off of Route 122 in Blackstone



Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment