Friday, May 29, 2015

Summer Plans

    The last two nights I have not gone fishing. For the first time in weeks I was home on two consecutive nights after supper.I spent my time after work cleaning up my yard. The most fun and also beneficial of it was working on my garden. Although a couple weeks late, in a couple months I will have tomatoes, cucumbers and leaf lettuce (planted in the shade so it won't bolt too quickly.

    After I came in I ate shrimp while watching a live streaming Jimmy Buffett concert. If gardens, shrimp cocktail, and Buffett don't scream that summer is upon us, then I don't know what does. I had a fun spring, but sadly it is just about over. I like spring more than summer not only because of the cooler weather, but because more of my favorite things are peaking then. None the less, as Cher poetically said, you can't turn back time.

   My summer plans are not nearly as diverse as my spring daytrips. For the most part they consist of the ocean and the mountains. Starting with mountains: simply put, I want to go to New Hampshire hiking and trout fishing as much as I can.

   Going to the ocean does not mean hanging out at the beach to me. I have a couple days planned for the next couple weeks. There is a place in Newport that fishes very well the first couple weeks in June when high tide lines up with sunset. This will happen roughly June 1-4.

   Secondly, I know a place also on the island that has big sea robins at high tide. I actually wanted to go there tonight and blow off the yard work, but got out of work too late. I may try again Sunday.

   Third ocean daytrip would be going to Prudence Island. I love going to Prudence but haven't been in years. There is a shallow bay where I snorkle. The south end of the island has a wharf where I once caught big scup. There is a large deer population also. The people are laid back and it id just a fun place to go.

   My last summer daytrip is the Charlestown Breachway. Behind the breachway are mudflats. In late summer, migrating shorebirds stop to rest there. It is fun to see all the birds and to play in the warm water. I am not rushing away the warm weather, but I am looking forward to that trip.

   That is really the stuff I most want to do. Of course, we will probably hit some Cape Cod Baseball League games. I will certainly see some fireworks and I usually go to a zoo at least once.

    My advice, is to put a list together of fun things you want to do this summer. See how many you can cross off. They may have nothing to do with the mountains or my ocean ideas. Still lifes to short not to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment