Monday, August 25, 2014

Pittsburgh, NH

This past week I went up to the northern tip of New Hampshire to for a magazine article assignment. I spent two and a half days fishing continuously. I'm not going to write extensively about it, but the little getaway inspired me with many ideas.

Pittsburgh is the most northern town in New Hampshire. It took me 5 hours to get there from the MA/RI border. Access is simple. Follow I-93 to Exit 35 (Route 3). Follow Route 3 for two long yet scenic hours. Pittsburgh is home to some very famous water. The Upper Connecticut River is widely considered one of the best ten trout streams in the country. On top of that are the world famous Connecticut Lakes.

I did not go up to fish any of these famous waters. The area is loaded with many small ponds filled with trout that don't get much attention. I fished eight bodies of water catching trout in six. None were that big but they were plentiful. I mainly used nymphs fishing with my fly rod and the trout did not seem at all fussy. Finding fish was harder than catching them. It seemed like they were all holed up in one little cove. I could catch a bunch in one little spot and none in the rest of the pond. This happened on more than one water body. This probably was the case because some of the ponds are spring fed, and chances are when I found fish they were over coldwater springs.

For someone that truly want to discover water with very little fishing pressure  Most of the ponds close on October 15, and most are fly fishing only.I suggest taking a trip up north before they close. There is plenty of lodging and campgrounds in the area. You will feel like an explorer since you may be the only person to fish that pond all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment