Thursday, December 19, 2013

Icing


I went out to test the ice today. I wasn’t sure if I was going to find it to be safe. To be honest if I didn’t at one pond I probably wouldn’t have gone anywhere else. I’m cautious when it comes to ice, so if it wouldn’t have been safe, I would have called it a day. I got a late start (about 3 pm) and went to Falls Pond because it is right near my house. I drilled a hole so close to the shoreline that my auger was in the mud, I told you I’m cautious. So I went out into about 3 feet of water and tried again. The ice was about 4 inches. I went out little further and drilled holes in a straight line until I was about 60 feet from the shore and in about 8-10 feet of water. The ice was uniform at all my holes.

I started jigging in my deepest holes. At first I didn’t catch anything. I took a picture of a hole with my rod above it, just to prove I was on the ice. I decided to drill a couple more holes about 10 past my last hole. I let them rest for five minutes then started jigging. I didn’t get any hits for three minutes then all of the sudden my rod started to bend. I set the hook and reeled up a crappie. I was ecstatic that I actually caught something. I must have had the biggest, goofiest grin of my life.

I let it go and caught two other crappie and a small bass from that hole. The fish stopped biting so I started fishing my other holes. On my next hole I started catching one sunfish after another. I don’t have any clue how many but as fast as the spoon hit the bottom and I cranked it up a foot, I had a fish. My only regret is that I didn’t get out sooner. I fished until dark and the fish were still hitting. I ended up with 4 species of fish.

I was jigging a 1/8 ounce gold Kastmaster spoon tipped with waxworms. I was using a short homemade jigging rod with a small reel. I was using six pound line. The weather was about 40 degrees, I did not need a coat just my sweatshirt. I am not sure if the ice will be safe for long. There is a warming trend in this weekend and temps Sunday might reach 60 degrees. Tonight it’s only going to drop down to freezing. I’ m going to check the ice Friday morning but if it’s slushy, I will not be going out.
 
I apologize for not posting much this month.I have been writing a lot but not posting. I am working on a couple big writing projects for the blog. I'm working on my end of the year review and a three post piece about the White Mountains. they will be coming shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment