Saturday, June 8, 2013

A few stripers here and there


I’m not going to make any excuses why I haven’t written anything in two weeks, although I will at least try to explain myself. . DJ is graduating high school today and I have focused on that. I have fished a few times but not as much as in May. Besides focusing on graduation traditions, I really haven’t been lighting up the fishing scene.

Early this week I tried fishing two new Narraganset spots from the kayak. One night I caught three schoolies, the other I caught two. I was happy to avoid the skunk fishing new spots, but fishing was far from fantastic.
Getting tired of catching only a couple small fish I decided to fish in Narraganset Tuesday night with eels. I was really hoping for a monster. I had Wednesday day off so I fished until really late. I ended up with one small keeper and a couple other hits. The keeper was what they call a “racer.” It was extremely skinny. So again a lot of effort, with not to much of a reward.

I’d like to give you some advice on how to catch some stripers in Rhode Island. Unfortunately, fishing seems to be tough right now for a lot of the sharpies (which I certainly am not one). There are some menhaden in the bay, stripers and blues are under some of the schools but not all of them. Schoolies are around but, I don’t think they are in big numbers in any one spot.

If I had to tell you how to catch stripers right now, I’d say to hit the Canal during a good tide or at night. I’m guessing Rhode Island is going to experience another dismal summer for striper fishermen. I will just fish for other species. If the fall is anything like last year, I will take that in trade because it was unbelievable.
 
*** Authors Note
Monday thru Friday this week I am going to Niagara Falls. I asm going to keep a detailed account of my budget. Niagara is within an eight hour drive of at least 50 million people. I think it can be a fairly inexpensive vacation. I'm going to try to come back with useful advice for anyone considering making the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment