Sunday, April 21, 2013

Thoughts about the Last Week



First off their will be nothing political here. There will be no discussion about gun control, immigration or your thoughts about Obama.
My son was in Boston during the bombing. He was two blocks away when they went off. He was with two friends. They were close enough that they could tell it was a bomb. They were making their way towards the finish line when it happened. They were going to go into Marathon Sports. The Red Sox game was close so before they went to the marathon, they tried to get into Fenway to catch the end of the game. After they were refused entry, they started making their way towards Marathon Sports.

Right after the bombs went off, he called me from a friend’s phone. Reception was bad and I could barely understand him. His first words were “You heard about the bombs at the Marathon?”
What? No? Huh? He told me about the bombing and he was alright. I could barely talk to him then he had to get off the phone. I called his phone and it went to voice mail. I tried the number he called me from, same thing. Phones were shut off so they could not be used to detonate more bombs. I didn’t know where he was or how/when he was getting home.

I got home from work and turned on the tv. I had no contact with my son for some time. I was scared and pissed. I wanted to hurt the people that put my son’s life in danger. I kept telling myself as long as nothing new happened he was safe.
After a while, they managed to get out of Boston. They took the train to Attleboro and got picked up. We hugged and he told me the story of police, ambulance, SWAT, and closed down subways.  We went for a walk then got Chinese food.

I am so proud of the job the police and all the agencies did to catch those pieces of shit. I have never been prouder to be from Massachusetts. The way the city and state kept going and didn’t let these savages change their everyday lives was truly impressive. There is no doubt, lives were ruined. People died and many of the injured lost limbs and will never be the same. I think all of our hearts go out to them. As happy and proud that the terrorists were caught, no one will forget the innocent that were harmed.

Lastly, this is trivial compared to everything else that happened but I want to thank New York. From day one New Yorkers stood with Boston because of this tragedy. All over Facebook anyone with a New York connection had many messages from hope to sympathy. I cannot believe the compassion that poured from that city.

What the Yankees did with Sweet Caroline was the classiest thing I have ever seen in sports. I usually hear the “Red Sox Suck” chant so loud announcers have to yell over them. Bostonians are no better. I allowed DJ to say “Yankees Suck” at much too young of an age. Yet, when the shit hit the fan, the city of New York and the Yankees, reached out to Boston.

It’s easy to hate the Yankees as I am sure they hate the Red Sox, but baseball is just a game. It is absolutely trivial compared to 9/11, the Marathon bombing, or the explosion in west Texas. The only point I am trying to make is both the residents of New York and the Yankees organization have my respect (although I’m still routing for the Sox to beat them and any small market team).

I will no longer engage in random “Yankees suck” chants. When I hear “Red Sox Suck” again, and I am sure I will, it is fine with me, because in the end New York has our back!

P.S.  DJ will be eighteen next year at this time. He wants to qualify for the Boston Marathon. He has done two half marathons so it is possible. He will not need my permission as an eighteen year old. That said he fully has my support and I will be at the finish line to watch him finish. Scumbags will have no effect on the decisions I make. If we succumb to fear, they win.

Proud to be an American, Proud to be from Massachusetts

Nick

1 comment:

  1. Nick that was quite a statement you made and we are all very proud of you . Uncle Tom and I hope you and DJ go to the Marathon.
    Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete