Saturday, November 3, 2012

Making bucktail jigs

I have been stubborn when it comes to bucktail jigs most of my life. I decided to try them this year. The reason I wanted to use them was actually because I thought it would be fun to make some. So this spring I made some bucktails just for the hell of it.

I started using them regularly this year. I should have been using them for years. I have caught more fish than I can count on them. They are easy to make. To buy bucktail jigs it is very expensive. I was at Bass Pro yesterday and they had small bucktails 3 for $5. The slightly bigger ones were running about two dollars each. To make my own, its a lot closer to 50 cents each. When blues are around or fishing a rocky bottom, a fisherman can go through them fairly quickly.

Many anglers are not even carrying them in there tackle bags any more because of soft plastics. However, they can sometimes work better than the plastic because they will dig a little deeper in the water column. I've caught a lot of stripers in the last three days. All but two were on a 3/8 ounce white bucktail.

To make your own all you need is a bucktail ( from the fly fishing section of a well stocked tackle shop). A jig head. I buy regular flathead jigs from Bass Pro 10/ $4. Some red thread and a vise to hold the jig. Here are some pictures on how to tie a bucktail jig. They did not come out very well but they should give you an idea on how easy they are to make.

Put the jig on a vise and wrap some red thread to give your bucktail some thing to grip

Take a small amount of bucktail and place on hook. Wrap the thread around it

Do this two more times. Trying to cover a third of the hook each time

Pictures are deceptive. Tie very sparsely

Once you get the bucktail on all sides wrap the red thread tightly and neatly around the neck
Use a whip finish to tie the knot

Use a little head cement ( I use Gorilla glue) to seal the thread

These are the jigheads  I start with
I make jigs in four sizes  1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 ounce. To see a video, my friend made one on how to tie a bucktail jig. Its easy and they are an unbelievable lure to have. I am a believer. Click on link below.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9ati-DKTQ&list=UUDZxqPVXrtCj1GwZeU0UoGg&index=13&feature=plcp

No comments:

Post a Comment