Sunday, July 10, 2011

Great fishing this week

As usual I'm having computer problems so even though I had some good fishing this week I haven't been able to write about it. I'm at DJ's grammas writing this.

I went out Thursday night with my friend Jeff Henderson. We went to Narragansett and Jamestown. Our game plan was to fish spots until we found fish. We started before dark at Sprague Bridge. We were hoping to get some schoolies in the marsh behind the bridge. Within minutes Jeff hooked into a schoolie. Of course this gave us hope that we would catch a bunch. Nope.
It was the only one we caught in the time we got there until dark. We went to Narragansett Beach. There was a guy surfing on waves bigger than he was, so we headed to Jamestown. We tried three spots before we came upon fish. For most of the night we thought " here we go again" and planned on an awful night striper fishing.
At the last place we found fish. Within 2 hours between us we had 8 hits. Unfortunately for me, Jeff caught the majority. I only landed one fish, a large schoolie about 26 inches. I had two other bumps. Jeff killed me, landing 3 stripers all keepers about 31 inches. He also had one on that was 36 inches or more. It broke the line because he was using a schoolie rod with 12 pound test. He also had at least 3 more hits. Like I said he killed me. We fished until 1:30 am. Neither of us were very tired and fish were still around, but our feet were killing us because of standing on jagged rocks.

The next day I got a tip from Dave about some HUGE scup in the middle of the bay. Jeff and I went down to check it out. Sure enough within ten minutes of fishing we were into big scup, one after another. We were getting hits on every cast. It was awesome. We each caught a fluke and Jeff caught a small bluefish. On this night I caught a few more than him. We were getting hits on every cast like I said, but I figured out how to get a hookset a little before him. Also, we both agreed I had more fish in front of me, instead of him. So, we both started casting in one small area. ( No competition, teamwork) We landed fish well past dark. We caught more than we could count. They were all above average size. We also caught a few giants, easily going over 2 pounds. The really neat thing was we were catching them on lures. My go to choice was a 3 inch white curly tail grub. I was actually ripping the tail off and fishing with the stub. I was getting just as many hits, but they weren't focusing on the tail so I was getting more hooksets.
We were fishing a hundred yards from shore. Not the brightest bulbs. There was lightning all around. We kept an eye out for the direction of strikes and wind direction. Nothing came to close to us but the sky lit up enough times that we were nervous. After we caught enough fish, we realized we probably should not be in the water. We got out of the water and back to the cars at 9:46.

Like I said at the beginnig, my computer is giving me troutble, we have some pics of scup and fluke. When I get a chance I will add them.

No comments:

Post a Comment