Saturday, November 13, 2010

Trauma Units, Seatbelts and too much Deep Thinking

As many of you know DJ's mom has been in the hospital for the last two weeks because of a terrible car accident. I haven't wrote anything in that time. I have been bringing DJ to the hospital to see his mom. Also DJ and I have taken in his younger sister while her mom is recovering. Needless to say the last few weeks have been hectic. Therefore for once I have a reason why I haven't written anything as opposed to an excuse.

I will be writing more this week. I hope to finish my piece on Block Island in the next couple days ( its in my drafts right now) Also I had an idea for a piece about my heros growing up and people I thought were role models that let me down.



For now, I have been thinking a lot about how quickly our lives can change in the blink of an eye. Seeing what Crystal is going through in the hospital makes you realize how important health really is.

Its so easy to take every day for granted. Last year I had a pinched nerve in my neck that caused unbelieveable pain in my shoulder for 3 months. I was getting maybe 3 hours sleep a night and then only for 10-15 minutes at a time. Since then I have vowed to enjoy everyday that I am pain free.I always try to have as much fun as I can. I won't sit here and say watching Crystal recover is going to make me more open to life. I have tried to live each day to the fullest since my injury. I know who loves me and am glad for those people in my life. I think what I am trying to say is even though I enjoy life, I can still take it for granted. All it takes is walking through any unit of Rhode Island Hospital or any other large hospital to realize it can all end in an instant. Anyone who thinks they are invincible or has the mentality that things won't happen to them can easily be humbled by a trip through the trauma unit.

I once heard a quote and I don't know who said it " Everyone knows they are going to die, but no one believes it" If you think about it, that is true. Almost none of us would live the way we do if we thought we would be dead soon. Things that you think are important aren't nearly important as you think.

It can't be argued that money is important. To be sheltered, pay bills and eat we need money. To fish, hike, travel, go to Disney we need disposable income. So to pretend money isn't important would be a lie. HOWEVER how many workaholics would put there job over there family if they thought they were going to die. Hopefully the answer is no one. Yet people put there jobs ahead of there family all the time. Would you waste time with anger if you knew that starting on Wednesday you'd be spending the next 3 months in the hospital recovering from a car accident? No

What I have learned the last couple weeks is are bodies are fragile. It doesn't take much to mangle it when loosing control of a 3 ton piece of steel at 60 miles per hour. Enjoy what you have, do the things you enjoy, spend time with the people you want to spend time with and don't take good health for granted.



Lastly I learned to put my seatbelt on while still in the driveway, not after I get moving. Wear your seatbelt at all times!!!

I hope you recover soon Crystal.

The reason for this picture in such a depressing post is that it shows 2 of my favorite people in the world enjoying life and having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment