Monday, October 4, 2010

More proof that television is the devil!

Before I start I must qualify my below statements by saying I was as guilty as anyone and am not here to pass judgement.
A couple of Sundays ago the Patriots were playing the Jets. It was a really nice day in the 70's. Normally, during the first few weeks of the football season I will miss Sunday games if the weather is nice out if I can find something to do. This week DJ had fall baseball during the early afternoon reducing my chance for any day trips. So around 4 pm, we got ready to watch the Pats. For anyone that watched it, the first half was good for the Patriots. I believe the halftime score was 14-13.
Then, ( pause for dramatic affect) the power went out in my neighborhood. A transformer blew somewhere up the street. After the usual 15 seconds of assuming the power would be right back on we realized it might be a while. We decided to go for a walk. It was about 6:15 at this point and there was maybe 1 full hour before total darkness.

I could not believe what I saw when I stepped outside. With no television to watch, my neighbors, many of whom I have never seen before were outside! There were people outside on lawn chairs listening to the game on the radio. I saw whole familys playing frisbee. People were getting out and getting fresh air because they couldn't watch the boob tube.
There is a dirt road on my jogging route near Falls Pond, I have NEVER passed anyone walking on it, during our power outage, I passed two couples and a family.

This got me thinking. I definitely watch less tv than the supposed average. Pretty much football and Thursday night comedys. Still, I can't pretend I am all high and mighty, I look forward to Thursday nights and Monday Night Football. I just thought about, if we didn't have tv to rely on, how much more time would we spend outdoors. I'm not even talking about day trips or fishing. Just spending time going for a walk, sitting in the backyard by a fire, or playing frisbee withe our kids, maybe catch a sunset. Based on all the people " that had nothing better to do when the power was out" I concluded tv is the devil ( figuratively- no nasty religious emails please )

Just to wrap up- The power came back on about 8 pm. The Pats game ended about 20 minutes earlier. Luckily my power went out so I did not have to watch Mark Sanchez and the rest of the Jets hand the Patriots the beating they took in the second half.

No comments:

Post a Comment